Thursday, July 28, 2011

PC Powersupplies.

Will someone explain to me why the ATX power supply doesn't have switched AC like the old AT ones.

Yes, I know that monitors and printers go into sleep mode when not receiving any data, but they're still drawing some power, which is a total waste when the computer is off.

Electricity is part of my rent so I'm not that motivated to find out how much power is being consumed by such devices in my life, but I do wonder is how much power is consumed by standby peripherals versus wall warts when not in use.

It's also important to remember that speaker amplifiers don't have any kind of sleep mode.

So, PC power supply makers, give us back the switched AC on the back of our power supplies.

As an aside, why doesn't anyone make a speaker amplifier that you can put in to the PC case and power it with the 12 volts and just run the audio lines to the speakers?

No comments:

Post a Comment